I promised I would give you a list of resources to help you become better stewards of soil. So, here it goes!
- The Soil Will Save Us by Kristin Ohlson Awesome for the depth of knowledge offered through entertaining story telling. I have this one as a reference in my office, and it will forever be one.
- The Garden Jungle by Dave Goulson Though not totally focused on soil, it offers loads of interesting information about gardens and all the interesting critters that reside in them. This is another book that will forever rest on my reference shelf.
- The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben Focused on trees, but trees depend on an underground teeming with life to thrive, and the surprises are endless and mind-blowing in this read. This book is very easy to chew away at each night before bed, as the chapters are just enough to give you education without beating you to death with facts.
- Know Soil, Know Life by David L. Lindbo, Deb A. Kozlowski, and Clay Robinson A simple textbook, and easy to read, but also rich with information to get you started on digging into soil. There are more advanced options, but this is a great start for the layman.
- One of my favorite YouTube threads is 59 Degrees Academy. These videos are concise, and interesting for all ages.
- The Biggest Little Farm is the best documentary I have ever seen. The story, the cinematography, and power to inspire is absolutely brilliant. I recommend it to everyone I know, whether I know them well, or have just met! I think you’ll understand why I’ve expanded my scope of study when you see this film.
These are just a few resources, and merely the beginning of my soil education library. I hope you’ll pick up or watch at least one of these, and begin digging in with me! I know it may seem a little off topic from bees, but the fact is all things that live on this planet are connected to each other in a complex web of life, offering impacts on the world around them. 70% of bees live and nest underground, and what we do to soil will undoubtedly impact their success.